The. Day. Is. Here.
As I was laying in bed last night thinking about what today might feel like (still kind of surreal if you're wondering. I'm sure that's because I can't walk into a book store and see PLAYING FOR KEEPS on a shelf), I thought about how slow this process really is. And considering that things with PfK moved pretty quickly in the book world makes that all the more funny. If I had a nickel for every time I heard "When is your book coming out" over the past few years, I'd already be a rich author. So I thought I'd make a timeline to show the non-book people out there how "quick" the process is.
* Late 2012 - Writing - I can't nail down a date that I actually started writing PfK. I know I was writing it while I was pregnant with Squishy and I think that I finished it in early 2013.
* Spring 2013 - Editing - I finished and sent it out to beta readers.
* May 2013 - Pitching - Went to Storymakers in Provo, Utah and pitched the book to Kathy Gordon at Covenant. She loved it and requested to see it. I went home and edited and edited some more and sent it to my CP extraordinaire, Kaylee.
* July 2013 - Submissions - I remember this date exactly, July 24th, because I remember it was Pioneer Day, a holiday in Utah.
* February 2014 (SEVEN months later) - Acceptance - I received an email that started my dreams of being a published author coming true.
* January 2015 (ELEVEN months after that!) - Getting a publication date - My editor emailed me that she'd gotten my book into the 2015 line, which was actually a surprise for me. I expected it wouldn't get in until 2016 at the earliest.
* March 2015 - Cover - I got the cover for PfK, which I loved and adored. Want to see it again? I knew you would. ;)
* Later in March 2015 - Galleys - I got the proof for the inside of PfK to read over and make sure we didn't miss any last minute typos. Once I sent it back, it went to press!
* Today, June 1, 2015 - HAPPY BOOK BIRTHDAY! - Today PfK officially released!
Were you keeping track? That's about 3 1/2 years from finishing to publication. And that is SO FAST. Seriously, guys. I have been dreaming about this day, about having a real live book out there and published since I was little. I've been serious about getting it done for about eight years now. Just wait until someday I do a timeline for KISSING A SUPERHERO. I'm guessing it will have almost a ten-year span by that point. Ha!
Want some links so you can go get PLAYING FOR KEEPS? Okay, you've got it.
Get the book and ebook at Deseret Book: https://deseretbook.com/p/playing-for-keeps-ppr
Get the book via Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Playing-Keeps-Ranee-S-Clark/dp/1621088502
Add it to Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25264002-playing-for-keeps
I'm so close to 1000 followers on Twitter! Follow, enter here, and tweet about it to win a copy after I get 1000 followers! a Raffle...
I've been writing since I was old enough to grasp a crayon--my grandma even has an early copy of a "book" I made her. I have a bachelor's degree in history from the University of Wyoming and will (hopefully) soon be starting a graduate program in English. When I'm not breaking up impromptu UFC fights in the living room or losing miserably to my boys at Uno, I'm ... well, writing or editing, of course! I'm married to my best friend, and we have three rambunctious but simply amazing little boys.